Check for details
Check for details
Nelson Mandela Bay to host major tourism conference: SATSA 2018 Conference

Nelson Mandela Bay to host major tourism conference: SATSA 2018 Conference

L-R: Dewald Nieman, Eastern Cape Chapter Chairperson; Nelson Mandela Bay Tourism CEO, Ms Mandlakazi Skefile and SATSA Chief Executive Officer, David Frost at the recent Eastern Cape chapter meeting and conference venue site inspections. Nelson More »

IMF delivers SA a vote of confidence

IMF delivers SA a vote of confidence

The IMF’s latest World Economic Outlook say the onset of a new political leadership in SA has reduced policy uncertainty The IMF has given SA a vote of confidence, revising its growth projections, but also warned that More »

Gender row sees Mark Lamberti resign as Imperial CEO

Gender row sees Mark Lamberti resign as Imperial CEO

Mark Lamberti has resigned as Imperial CEO‚ following an adverse judgment in the case brought by fired employee Adila Chowan‚ whom he called a “female employment equity candidate”. Imperial has promoted its chief financial officer‚ Osman Arbee‚ More »

Key witness in case against Nigerian pastor shot at in PE

Key witness in case against Nigerian pastor shot at in PE

PAMELLA Mabini, the woman who is one of the key witnesses in the case against a Nigerian pastor charged with human trafficking and the rape of young girls, was threatened and shot More »

Nelson Mandela Bay residents cry out for jobs as IDP and Budget meetings continue

Nelson Mandela Bay residents cry out for jobs as IDP and Budget meetings continue

IDP and Public Participation meetings currently under-way continues to draw crowds hungry for accelerated service delivery, job creation and crime reduction. The meeting held recently held in the Chatty Community Hall was no different. Hundreds of residents More »

 

Tag Archives: DA

Mbizana accused of bias against DA

Members of the DA in rural Mbizana local municipality have accused an ANC ward councillor of sidelining them from jobs on a major road project on the N2.

 

The project to rehabilitate part of the route is being undertaken by the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral).

Unhappy DA members who live in Mbizana local municipality’s ward 24 and were hoping to be given work on the project, claim they have been sidelined by the ward councillor, Ntlahla Hlebo.

The Daily Dispatch is in possession of a letter sent to Mbizana municipal speaker Simphiwe Magini on November 2 last year, calling for his intervention in the matter.

The letter, written by the DA’s PR councillor in ward 24, Macalonke Ndesi, accused Hlebo of “ill-treating” DA members while alleging that Hlebo’s wife, brother and sister were given jobs on the project without a proper selection panel being used.

“[I] therefore humbly request you [Magini] to relate this information to honourable ward councillor Hlebo, so that this state of affairs [can] be addressed transparently,” read the letter.

Speaking to the Dispatch yesterday, Ndesi said the speaker had so far failed to intervene, and accused him of employing delaying tactics to shield Hlebo.

“I think the belief is that if this matter is not given any attention, it will die down. But they are wrong,” Ndesi said.

Despite several attempts to contact him, Hlebo could not be reached for comment yesterday at the time of going to print.

Magini confirmed receipt of the letter from Ndesi, and said he had tried to get all stakeholders, including Sanral, under one roof last year, something that had failed to materialise.

“It’s my first day back at work this year but I am in the process of contacting all the parties so that we can sit down and get to the bottom of this,” he added.

ANC provincial secretary in the Eastern Cape, Oscar Mabuyane, said although he was not convinced by the DA’s story, ANC councillors were expected to serve all people across the board, irrespective of political affiliation.

“We can’t expect our councils to serve only people who voted for us. We want even those who did not vote us into power to see the good work we do, so that they can vote for us the next time,” he said.

— dispatchlive

DA demotes, fines councillor for slur

NELSON Mandela Bay DA councillor Chris Roberts has been demoted and fined R10 000 for calling the UDM’s Mongameli Bobani a “bobbejaan”.

Roberts was found guilty by the DA’s federal legal commission of bringing the party into disrepute and harming its image.

He made the statement at a council meeting last year but later apologised, saying he had called Bobani “babobani” in jest.

Yesterday, the party said he had to resign as its whip in council but would remain a councillor.

Speaking after the federal executive meeting in Johannesburg, DA federal chairman and Bay mayoral candidate Athol Trollip said they had followed the party’s processes in handing down the sanction.

“He has been fined R10 000 which he has to pay by March 31,” Trollip said.

“He has to resign as the whip of the party and will be precluded [from] holding any leadership position in the party until the [local government] elections [later this year].

“The R10 000 will most certainly not be coming to the DA.

“We will find an organisation or individual deserving of it.

“[Even if] he had said it in jest, it was still unacceptable behaviour.

“We need to be more sensitive and work towards redressing the past,” Trollip said.

Roberts could not be reached for comment. His wife, Barbara, said he would not be commenting for now.

The sanction comes after party leader Mmusi Maimane came out guns blazing last week, declaring that racists had no place in the party.

Political analyst Mcebisi Ndletyana said the outcome came as no surprise as the DA had previously handed down a similar ruling against MP Dianne Kohler Barnard.

“The party is a bit inconsistent in what it says and what it does practically when you look at what Maimane said last week,” Ndletyana said.

“They don’t want to deal with these racist utterances in a decisive manner. This doesn’t portray a high level of seriousness.

“At some level, it is not surprising if you followed the Kohler Barnard case, because they handled it the same way.

“This may very well be a sign of how things will be handled going forward. But it is not sufficient as a public stance [against] racial intolerance.”

Last year, Kohler Barnard shared a Facebook post which praised the rule of apartheid-era president PW Botha.

The party demoted her to an ordinary member and MP and fined her R20 000.

Bobani, who lodged a complaint with the Human Rights Commission, said he would proceed with the case.

“I am shocked and disgusted that the DA has punished councillor RobRACIST DA members will not stop calling black South Africans monkeys just because party leader Mmusi Maimane said so.

This is according to ANC national working committee member Fikile Xasa, who was delivering the keynote address at the Ward 43 ANC 104 years birthday celebrations at the Jeff Masemola Hall in KwaNobuhle.

Xasa said the DA members would not be able to stop because insulting black people was in their blood.

In what could be seen as the ANC’s campaign strategy for the upcoming municipal polls, Xasa said no matter how it tried, the DA would always have racists in the party.

Xasa told the packed hall that Maimane’s declaration of zero tolerance for racism would fall on deaf ears.

“This boy who is leading the party that wears blue went to the apartheid museum and said they would not tolerate racism and when he turns back, another one pops up.

“That is because they are used to swearing at us and they will not just stop because one black person says that must be stopped.

“It is in their blood. When they see us they see things like monkeys and not people.

“If you will vote for such a party and say it must govern Nelson Mandela Bay, what will you be doing?”

Xasa also extended an invitation to all ANC members who had defected to other parties. “They must know that this organisation will work better with them here.”

He called on older residents to guide the youth against voting for the DA. “The one area we are really worried about losing is this Nelson Mandela Bay metro.

“If you let this metro be under another party, you must know you will have sold out the nation.

“The war has begun. When we leave here let us go and defend our branches.”

In response, DA caucus leader Retief Odendaal said: “This election campaign when it comes to the ANC will be race-based.

“They will play the race card no matter what. The DA has proved it is a diverse party that is ready to serve all people.”

Delivering a message of support for the ANC, Sanco provincial secretary Tony Duba described the ANC as a senior citizen which needed to be protected against unruly and ill-disciplined youths.

“The question remains: why do ANC children allow this senior citizen to be disrespected by thugs?

“Red and blue T-shirts are not wanted where we live because they are not the solution.

“It is the duty of each and every young person to defend this senior citizen which is the ANC,” he said to applause.

Duba, an ANC MPL, also called for unity in the tripartite alliance, saying no loyal member of the ANC would bad-mouth it.

-Herald

Metro looks to recoup R300 million from dubious contracts

The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality has instituted legal action against two service providers, Access Facilities and Leisure Management (Pty) Ltd and Afrisec Strategic Solutions (Pty) Ltd, in order to recover allegedly misspent Metro funds and monies due to the Metro to the value of approximately R300 million.

Summons was issued out of the High Court against Access and five others on 15 November 2016. The other individual defendants include Michiel Adrian Oberholzer, Chantal Du Pisani, suspended Metro Budget and Treasury employee, Nadia Gerwel, Andrea Wessels and her company Zeranza 299 (Pty) Ltd.

Summons was issued out of the High Court against Afrisec and others on 19 October 2016. The other individual defendants include Mhleli Tshamase, Metro CFO, Trevor Harper, dismissed Metro Contracts Controller, Songezile Nkanjeni and Metro Assistant Director in Contract Management and Legal Compliance, Nobuntu Mgogoshe.

This government is serious about stopping corruption in all forms. We have already identified a number of dubious contracts which have been frozen, and are now looking to recoup large amounts of public funds that our legal teams believe were spent illegally and misused.

Under the previous administration, Supply Chain Management was mismanaged and overspending of public funds was allowed to continue through uncontrolled use of deviations. Those days are now over.

For too long the residents of Nelson Mandela Bay have been subjected to rampant corruption and looting where hundreds of millions of Rand have been stolen by greedy officials and politicians. This was all at the expense of service delivery and economic growth, sending the Metro into a downward spiral as infrastructure collapsed and job losses grew.

The new DA-led coalition government’s intervention has brought about much needed change, and our City is moving forward again.

The recent launch of the Municipality’s anti-corruption hotline, which has given rise to 38 new investigations, is but another way in which this government is tackling corruption head-on. Please call 0800 007 086 or email fraud.nmb@kpmg.co.za to report all acts of fraud or corruption in our Municipality.

All recovered public funds will be preserved and redistributed to communities through better service delivery, economic growth projects and skills development.

Change has come to Nelson Mandela Bay, and with it a new era of freedom, fairness and opportunity for all.

– NMBM

Tumultous start for the new City Manager

The newly appointed Municipal Manager Mr Johann Mettler has expressed his happiness at being given the opportunity to serve the City on permanent basis. This follows municipality`s decision to reverse their decision of offering the job to Mr Vuyo Mlokothi. Mayor Trollip  revealed that there has been a breakdown of trust between him and Mr Mlokothi which arose as a results of his failure to disclose information relating to his alleged suspension by the State Information and Technology Agency.

It emerged that the Mayor received an anonymous tip-off that Mr Mlokothi might have been suspended at Sita and that this may have permeated his early departure from his job. Upon hearing this the Mayor asked him to come clean regarding the nature of the allegations levelled against him to which he answered that the separation was amicable. Oceana HR who were tasked with the responsibility of recruiting on behalf of the Muncipality failed to uncover the fact that Mr Mlokothi had been at some point suspended by Sita, this despite being paid a hefty some of R534 090 for their services.” We paid Oceana to find candidates and they did, accordingly we shortlisted and Mr Mlokothis scored the highest”. Six candidates were shortlisted with number two and three tied and Mr Mettler coming in at number four.Trollip said it was Mettler`s experience which gave him the nod over those who scored above him and that his decision to appoint him was protected by law.

ANC chief whip Litho Suka  said they were very worried that the process could result in litigation as they were not convinced that due processes were followed. He also opined and lamented DA`s failure to share information pertaining the recruitment process before the council meeting. In what can only be described as an eventful beginning of his tenure Mr Mettler has already committed himself to working towards getting clean audits for the municipality and making the city a destination of choice for investors.